Lubing the Rule Winches
Instead of tearing the winch apart every year to grease the gearbox, I
installed grease fittings. I am not sure pressurized grease will not invade the
motor area, so I limit the amount of grease I am pumping in. I run the winch
while adding grease so it hits all the planetary gears.
The installation was as follows:
- Get grease fittings with a 1/4 inch x 28 fine thread.
- Get the tap for this size and the number 3 drill. If you can't find
numbered drills, I used a ??? bit size and it worked well.
- Drill through the aluminum with the number 3 drill. Be sure you are
drilling 90 degrees to the winch in all directions and are directly over the
center of the shaft. You will hit hard metal about 1/4 inch in. Do not drill
all the way through with the large bit. Continue to blow out the aluminum
- Switch bits to a 1/16 or smaller bit and drill through the hard metal
that is under the aluminum. The gears are on the other side, so be carefull
as you get to punching through. Blow out as much of the steel fragments you
can before you punch through. I rotated the drum a little as I passed
through to make sure I was through and not drilling into one of the gears.
You can feel the gear hit the drill bit after you are through.
- Tap the aluminum down to the hard metal and stop.
- Screw in the fitting and pump in grease as you run the winch. Do not
overfill as the grease might be forced up toward the motor rather than
escaping some other way harmlessly.